Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Theories of Light and that idiot Hooke

As you may know (well actually if you bothered to read my first post) I have invented the reflecting telescope. Wondrous invention indeed, but how did the invention come about? I’ve become extremely curious about colour and light. I found out that a prism could pick apart light, showing many colours… a spectrum! And if you add in a second prism, it will go back to its regular white light. Amazing! With the two prisms, it doesn’t change any of the original properties of the original light. I commenced more experiments and my [Newton’s] theory of colour is born! Light is made of particles that bend into a dense medium. My theory is that “the result of objects interacting with already-coloured light rather than objects generating the colour themselves.”
With my studies, I developed the reflecting telescope that can bypass the issue of chromatic aberration. My notes, On Colour, were encouraged to be published. More of the topic would be included in my book Opticks that was released in 1704. Opticks just contained expanded observations on my theory of light.
I also came up with a Hypothesis of Light in 1675, which states that the existence of ether was to send forces in between particles. Then a man named Robert Hooke criticized my ideas! How dare he! He shall enter a path filled with wrath and fury. I did not appreciate Hooke’s existence throughout my lifetime until he died. Good for him. I don’t have to deal with his nonsense criticism anymore…

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I am sad to say, I have experienced this very same ordeal as you have! Is it not annoying that someone would steal your work and call it his own? I have a mass collection of planetary observations, and it was attained, or should i say stolen, from me at an inconvenient time. Kepler is the one, oh yes, and he has the audacity to call my work his own, just to prove his theory! You are fortunate to have death take pity of you and free you of such nuisance!

    From your sympathizer,
    Tycho Brahe

    ReplyDelete
  2. first of all, congratulations on you accomplishments! they are quite impressive although i myself do not particularly beleive in man made instruments like the telescope. But i must say, i was one of the audience members during a royal society meeting with fellow robert hooke actually demonstrated the telescope to all of us as well!what a coincidence! although i do hope you work your frustrations out and continue your theories of light research.
    -margaret cavenish

    ReplyDelete